On Friday, the Samsung second foldable phone named as Galaxy Z Flip foldable phone went on sale after its announcement during the Samsung Unpacked Event in San Francisco. This device came out a week after the Motorola Razr which is another Foldable-Screen Clamshell phone that hit stores previously. The Razr and Galaxy Z Flip have a lot of things in common, but they are also very different phones.
If you are a person who has got a shiny new Galaxy Z Flip, then there are a lot of things that you need to explore. For instance, the tiny 1.1-inch pill-shaped external display and Flex Mode. But note that there are a few Android 10 settings that you can change to optimize the use of Z Flip even more, especially for the better one-handed use.
You can try out the following things as soon as you get it in your hand:
1- Turn the Fingerprint sensor into a Scroll Wheel
The Galaxy Z Flip can be used one-handed. Samsung’s OneUI 2 interface has makes the buttons and windows easier to interact with but reaching the top of the screen for the notifications can still be a pain. Luckily, there is an Android setting that will turn your fingerprint reader located on the side of the phone into a Capacitive scroll wheel for pulling down the notification’s drawer.
To turn on this feature, do the following:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on the Advanced Features.
- Select Motions and Gestures.
- Select the Finger sensor gestures slider button setting on.
2- Taking Selfie with Power Button
When the Z Flip is closed, still you can double-tap the power button to open your exterior camera for a selfie. The tiny 1.1-inch pill-shaped screen will be showing you a cropped live preview. For taking the photo, you have to press the volume button or raise the palm of your hand to a camera for starting the camera timer and countdown.
Getting Familiar with the External Display
Other than being used for the selfie when the phone is closed, the external display has a few other uses as well. You have to tap the power button to get the date, time and battery status. Just swipe your finger across the display to the right for seeing your notifications. Tap on any of the icons to have a look at the brief part of the notification. If your phone is charging, then your display will be showing the battery percentage and will give you an estimate of how long it will take your phone to get charged.
3- Z Flip Split-Screen Apps
Due to the tall 6.7-inch screen with its 21:9 aspect ratio, this device is perfect for displaying the split-screen Android apps and one app on top of another.
- You only have to swipe up on the home screen for going into the recent apps view, or just tap the recent apps button from your navigation bar.
- Select the app that you want to see on top and press and hold the app icon.
- After this, a menu will appear.
- Tap Open in the split-screen view.
- After this, select the choose the second app that you want to see on the bottom.
- Once you are using the split-screen mode, you can press and hold on the divider bar for resizing the room that should be used by the app.
4- Flex Mode to Use Z Flip as a Baby Laptop
The hinge present on the Galaxy Z Flip is stiff enough to stay open in any position. Samsung has optimized some of the few apps to take advantage of the display when you have the device open about halfway. For instance, when you will open the YouTube app in the Flex Mode, your video will be playing on the top of half of the screen, while the comments will be appearing on the bottom screen.
Some other ways of using the flex mode are as follows:
- In the Gallery app, scroll through the photos on the bottom half of the screen, just like a trackpad.
- With this, you can make Google Duo video calls.
- You can use a tripod to take photos, videos, and hyper lapses.
- You can take a selfie hands-free.
5- Get Your Free YouTube Premium Access
If you don’t know, then you note that by purchasing a Galaxy Z Flip, you will get four months of YouTube Premium. This is YouTube without ads, YouTube Music for free. To get the offer, do the following:
- Open your YouTube app.
- Click on your profile present at the top right corner.
- Select YouTube Premium.
- Tap the blue button showing Try It Free button.
- Add your credit card information for starting your free trial.
6- Enabling Gestures for Better One-Handed Use
The traditional Android navigation bar for the gestures made the Z Flip easy to be used for one-handed.
For enabling the gestures, do the following:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Display.
- Select Navigation Bar.
- Next, select Full-screen gestures.
For using the gestures, swipe up from the bottom of the screen for going to Home. Swipe up and hold to for viewing your recent apps. Other than this, swipe from the right or left of the screen for going back.
These were the six amazing things that you can do on your new Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. Let us know your thoughts, will you be buying the new Z Flip?